This Italian-style side dish comes from the vaults of chef Mario Batali. If it isn't tomato season, go for canned ones; they save steps, and deliver both flavor and color year round.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 pounds tomatoespeeled, seeded and chopped, or 4 cups canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into 1-inch florets
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until softened and golden, then add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, until they begin to break down, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cauliflower and boiling water, lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Season the cauliflower to taste with salt and pepper and scatter the parsley on top.