Get familiar with fresh tomatoes, and give them some play in this savory bread pudding.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 40 mins
- 5 tomatoes (about 2 pounds total)peeled, halved, cored and seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 baguette, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees . Grease a 1 1/2-quart shallow casserole dish. Using a food processor, pulse the tomato halves, salt, sugar and a pinch of pepper until coarsely pureed.
- Place the bread cubes in the prepared dish and pour in the melted butter to coat. Top with the tomato puree and gently mix to distribute.
- Bake until crusty and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for 10 minutes more. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Score an "X" in the bottom of the tomato and place in boiling water for 1 minute.
- Place the tomatoes into ice water.
- Starting at the "X," pull off the skin.
- Store tomatoes at room temperature, not in the refrigerator.