Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 6 mins
- 6 - 8 strips thick-cut bacon
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 14 ounces baby romaine leaves or 2 small heads romaine lettuce, cut crosswise 1 inch wide
- 1 2 - 4 ounce piece parmesan cheese, cut into shavings
- 4 slices pumpernickel-rye bread, toasted and cut into cubes
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-low heat, turning, until crispy, about 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels, then break into 1-inch pieces.
- Rub the inside of a large salad bowl with the garlic; discard the garlic. Add the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard and anchovy paste and mix until blended. Mix in the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the lettuce and bacon to the bowl and toss gently to coat With the dressing. add the cheese and croutons and toss again. Divide among plates and top with the chopped eggs.