These pop-in-your-mouth fried bites are best while they're still warm.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cold dark beer
- 1 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as basil, chives, dill, parsley, rosemary, sage, tarragon and thyme
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Juice and grated peel of 1 lemon
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Peanut oil, for frying
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and salt. Whisk in the egg and beer until smooth. Stir in the herbs and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees . Line a baking sheet with paper towels and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon peel and hot sauce and set aside.
- Fill a large, heavy saucepan with enough oil to reach a depth of 3 inches; heat to 365 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Whisk the batter and, working in batches, drop by tablespoonful and fry, turning occasionally, until the fritters are crisp and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to the baking sheet; keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve with the lemon sauce.
- Add a half cup of grated parmesan to the batter for a cheesy variation.