Every cook deserves a Dutch oven—and some great recipes to go with it, like this poultry dish.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1 hr 15 mins
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 4 slices soft white whole grain bread, cut into small cubes
- 2 ounces sliced prosciutto, chopped
- 2 ounces dried mango, chopped
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can chicken broth
- 4 1 - 1 1/4 pounds Cornish game hens
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds Swiss chard, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees . In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until softened. Add the bread cubes, prosciutto and mango. Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth; remove from the heat and let cool. Stuff each hen with one quarter of the mixture and tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- Sprinkle the flour on the hens. In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add half the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the hens and cook, turning once, until browned. Arrange the hens breast side up, add the remaining chicken broth, cover and bring to a simmer. Transfer to the oven and cook until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees when inserted in the thigh, about 55 minutes. Transfer the hens to a platter and tent with foil. Transfer the cooking liquid to a small bowl, reserving the Dutch oven. Let the liquid settle, then skim the fat from the surface; discard.
- In the Dutch oven, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and garlic over medium heat. Add the chard and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Serve alongside the hens with the reserved juices.