Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
- 1 pound medium pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2cups half-and-half or whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 small heads radicchio (12 ounces total), shredded
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute,then whisk in the half-and-half and chicken broth. Season the sauce with salt, pepper and the nutmeg and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 6 to 7 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the garlic and anchovy paste, if using, and cook for 1 minute. Add the shrimp and radicchio, increase the heat and cook, stirring, until the shrimp is pink and the radicchio is tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Stir the parmigiano-reggiano into the white sauce. Add the pasta, shrimp and radicchio and toss. Pour into a buttered casserole and sprinkle the asiago on top. Broil until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes; serve hot.
Tip PAIR WITH
- Allegrini Valpolicella Classico 2006 (Italy)
Tip Frozen assets
- Use frozen bagged shrimp.