Taste summer in a bowl! We promise real refreshment in every scoop.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 30 mins
- 5 pounds seedless watermelon, cut into small chunks (6 cups)
- 1/4cup sugar
- Grated peel of 1 lime
- Pinch salt
- 1/2cup light corn syrup
- Using a blender, puree the watermelon; you will need 4 cups watermelon puree.
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 cup watermelon puree, the sugar and lime peel to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves; season with the salt. Pour in the remaining 3 cups watermelon puree, then whisk in the corn syrup until incorporated. Pour the watermelon mixture into a 9-inch metal cake pan and freeze until firm, about 4 hours or overnight.
- Let the frozen watermelon soften at room temperature for 5 minutes. Using a butter knife, break up the frozen puree into 2-inch pieces. Transfer the pieces to a food processor in batches and pulse until smooth. Store the sorbet in a freezer-safe container for up to 1 week. Let stand for 5 minutes before scooping.
- Replace the corn syrup with sweetened condensed milk to make ice cream.