Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 5 mins
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/4 pound pancetta, chopped
- 1 yellow or white onion, chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large bunch (about 1 1/4 pounds) kale, stemmed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Ground nutmeg
- 3 cups chicken or turkey broth, plus more for moistening
- 8 turkey breast cutlets
- 16 sage leaves
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves (2 sprigs
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded Asiago cheese (2 generous handfuls)
- 3 tablespoons honey (eyeball it)
- In a soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the kale by the handful, then sprinkle the vinegar and sugar on top and toss. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Add 1 cup chicken broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pound out the turkey cutlets between 2 sheets of wax paper; season with salt and pepper. Top each cutlet with 2 sage leaves and a slice of prosciutto, then roll the cutlets into logs. Secure each log with a toothpick threaded through the seam. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the turkey logs and cook, turning with tongs until golden all over, about 10 minutes. Remove the turkey logs from the skillet and keep warm. Pour off the fat from the pan, add 1/2 cup chicken broth and scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter and keep the broth warm.
- In a large saucepan, bring the milk and remaining 1-1/2 cups broth to a boil. Reduce the heat. Whisk in the polenta, lots of black pepper, a little salt and the rosemary and simmer until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk in the cheese, honey and remaining 2 tablespoons butter; remove from the heat. Thin with a little extra broth if desired.
- Remove the toothpicks from the saltimbocca and serve 2 per person with some kale and a mound of polenta alongside. Spoon the pan juices onto the saltimbocca.
Tip PAIR WITH
- Devil's Marbles Limestone Coast Chardonnay-Verdelho 2004 (Australia)