Leeks are the gentle giants of the onion family. They look forbidding but are easy to handle, and their sweet, mild flavor works wonders in savory dishes like this soup.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 leeks, white parts only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- In a steamer set over simmering water, cook the broccoli florets until soft, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the leeks, sprinkle with salt and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth and cook until half the broth is absorbed. Remove from the heat.
- In a food processor, combine the broccoli and the leek mixture. Add the cream and process until smooth. Season with the nutmeg, cayenne and salt to taste. Add to the skillet and warm over low heat. Add the cheese and cook until melted.
- Cut off the root end and the tough green top.
- Halve the white part lengthwise
- Soak the stalks in cold water for 10 minutes, then rinse to remove the grit.