Make everybody happy with their own individual, dreamy chocolate parfaits.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 - 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 8 Oreo cookies, chopped
- In a medium bowl, mix the chocolate and cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a medium, heavy saucepan, heat the half-and-half over medium-high heat until almost boiling (bubbles will form around the edges).
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until thick and pale yellow, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk half of the hot half-and-half into the egg mixture and then pour the mixture into the saucepan. Bring just to a boil over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, until bubbly and thickened, 1 minute.
- Pour the custard through a sieve into the reserved chocolate-cocoa mixture and whisk until smooth. Let cool slightly, then press plastic wrap onto the surface to cover; refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
- Scoop the chocolate pudding into individual cups and top with the whipped cream and cookies.
- Use a large knife for easy chopping.
- Strain out any curdled bits with a fine sieve.
- Cool the pudding quickly by setting the bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice and water.
- Press plastic wrap on the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- Turn the refrigerated custard into gelato - just pour into your ice-cream machine and churn.