Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 bunch kale (8 ounces), stemmed and thinly sliced (4 packed cups)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/4cup shelled sunflower seeds
- In a large, heavy skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes; transfer to a paper towel and discard all but 1 tablespoon of the grease. Add the kale and 3 tablespoons water; cover and cook over medium to medium-low heat until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the tomatoes and 1 teaspoon salt and cook over medium heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until the tomatoes are softened, about 8 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon salt until dissolved; stir into the rice.
- To serve, divide the rice among 4 bowls and layer with the kale, tomatoes, avocado, bacon and sunflower seeds.
- Yarden Blanc de Blancs 1999 (Israel)
- Order extra rice on takeout night to use for this dish.