Surprise! Easy crisp rice patties instead of traditional steamed rice are the bed for this tasty shrimp dish.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1 hr
- Sweet and Saucy Shrimp and Green Beans with Rice, green beans omitted and rice set aside
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 large eggs
- Follow Step 2 of the Sweet and Saucy Shrimp recipe to prepare the shrimp. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the garlic and cook until softened but not brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in the scallions, fish sauce and reserved rice; transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Just before serving, preheat the oven to 250 degrees . Stir the eggs into the rice mixture. In a large skillet, heat about 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Scoop one-quarter of the rice-egg mixture into the pan and, using a spatula, pat it down to form a 6-inch pancake. Cook, flipping once, until golden, about 5 minutes on each side; keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining mixture to make 3 more pancakes. Serve the Sweet and Saucy Shrimp over the rice cakes.