This dish calls for fish sauce, which you can often find in the international foods aisle of your local supermarket, or at an Asian grocery.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 pound green beans. trimmed and halved
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
- 4 cups cooked rice, for serving
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the beans until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water, the brown sugar, fish sauce, garlic and lemon peel. Season with pepper and simmer over medium-low heat until reduced to a thick syrup, about 12 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook over high heat, stirring, until pink, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked beans to the shrimp and sauce, and toss to coat. Serve over the rice.
- Replace the shrimp with cubes of tofu.