Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
- 5 - 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into thin sticks
- 1 zucchini, cut into thin sticks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2- 3/4cup dry white wine
- 1/2cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped (a generous handful), or 3 to 4 tablespoons snipped chives
- In a saucepan, simmer the broth over medium heat.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, and the butter over medium-high heat. Stir in the garlic. Add the spaghetti and toast lightly, about 2 minutes. Add the onion, carrots, zucchini and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, and cook until the vegetables soften, stirring with tongs, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook until completely absorbed. Add a few ladlefuls of warm broth and stir the pasta. Keep adding broth a few ladlefuls at a time, letting the liquid absorb before adding more. Stir often, like you would prepare a risotto, until all the liquid is absorbed and the spaghetti is al dente, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Stir the cream and cheese into the pasta, remove from the heat and stir for 1 minute longer, until the cheese is melted and creamy. Serve the pasta in shallow bowls, topped with the lemon peel and parsley.
Tip PAIR WITH
- Domaine Ste. Michelle Brut NV (Washington)