Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
- 1 pound egg fettuccine or pappardelle pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- Freshly ground pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 14 ounce can artichoke hearts in water, drained and thinly sliced
- 4 ribs celery from the heart, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 12 ounce cans Italian tuna or tuna in water, drained
- 1 cup green peas
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped (a generous handful)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
- While the pasta is working, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and stir for a minute, then whisk in the milk and cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Keep warm.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the artichokes, celery, shallots and garlic, and salt and pepper to taste; cook until tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the tuna, breaking it up with a fork. Stir in the peas to warm through. Add the pasta and sauce and toss to combine. Top with the parsley, thyme and lemon peel.
Tip PAIR WITH
- Alois Lageder Chardonnay 2005 (Italy)