The best thing about tostadas is that they're superfast and easy—and you can put whatever you want on them.
Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 6 tomatillos (about 1/2 pound), peeled and rinsed
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, drained
- 5 cloves garlic--2 chopped, 2 halved and 1 whole
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 - 3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, 1 tablespoon sauce reserved
- 2 avocados, preferably Hass
- 1 5 1/2 ounce box crisp-fried tostadas (12 tostadas)
- 1 heart romaine lettuce, shredded
- 4 ounces queso fresco (Mexican cheese) or goat cheese (about 1 cup)
- In a small saucepan, cover the tomatillos with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the tomatillos turn from bright to olive green, about 7 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, puree the beans, chopped garlic and onion. In a deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat; add the bean puree and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and set aside.
- Clean the food processor bowl. Puree the halved garlic cloves with the tomatillos, chipotle chiles and adobo sauce until almost smooth; add water to thin if necessary. Season the salsa with salt.
- Halve the avocados, scoop the flesh into a bowl and mash. Using a garlic press, crush the remaining garlic and add to the avocado. Season with salt.
- Reheat the beans, then spread on the tostadas and top with the guacamole, lettuce and cheese. Serve with the tomatillo salsa.