Everyone loves bacon, including man's best friend. Always check with your vet about which foods are appropriate for you to share with your pet.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 slices lean bacon
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- In a medium saucepan, bring the barley and chicken broth to a boil over high heat; reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the barley is tender, about 20 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a medium bowl and let cool.
- While the barley is cooking, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Reserve the fat from the bacon for cooking the burgers. Finely chop the bacon and add to the cooled barley. Mix in the egg, bread crumbs and cheese. Combine thoroughly and score into 4 equal pieces. Wet your hands and form the pieces into patties.
- Reheat the bacon fat and cook the burgers over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side.
- Swap 1 cup white or brown rice for the barley.