Serve crispy tortilla chips on the side to scoop up all the good stuff.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 2 large baking potatoes (1-1/2 pounds total), sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef sirloin
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 8 ounce package shredded sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- Sour cream and shredded lettuce, for serving
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees . On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and the ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in the beans, taco seasoning and 2 tablespoons water. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring, until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes to an ovenproof platter. Sprinkle half of the cheddar on top, spoon on the meat mixture, then top with the tomatoes and remaining cheddar. Place in the oven and turn off the heat. Let stand until the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with the sour cream and lettuce.
- Talus Zinfandel 2005 (California)
- Use pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar.