Keeping the oven off means you can whip up these holiday cookie favorites any time of year.
Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 35 mins
- 2 tablespoons brandy, rum or water
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 9 ouncepackage chocolate wafers
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- Pinch salt
- In a small bowl, stir together the brandy and espresso powder; set aside. In a food processor, pulse the wafers until finely ground; set aside 1/4 cup crumbs. Transfer the remaining crumbs to a medium bowl. Stir in the espresso mixture. Beat in the butter and salt until combined.
- Using your hands, roll a scant tablespoon of the dough into a 1-inch ball and drop onto a small cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Repeat with the remaining dough. Freeze the cookies until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Roll the cookies in the reserved crumbs, rounding them with your palms if they have flattened on the bottom. Store in the refrigerator.