Don't shy away from the anchovies! They add fantasticand not at all fishyflavor to this dish.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 8 ounceloaf day-old Italian bread, processed into crumbs (about 4 cups)
- 1 4 ouncecan sliced olives, drained
- 1 2 ouncecan flat anchovies, drained and chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 3/4cup olive oil
- 1/2cup grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4cup capers
- Salt and pepper
- 4 small heads escarole (about 8 ounces each)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2cup chicken broth
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, olives, anchovies, 1/2 cup wine, 1/4 cup olive oil, cheese and capers. Add salt and pepper to taste. Discard any damaged outer leaves from the escarole, wash thoroughly between the leaves and shake dry. Take out the center leaves to make room for the stuffing, then stuff the escarole and tie closed with kitchen string.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat, add the garlic and escarole and fry, turning with tongs, until softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer the escarole to a plate. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup wine and the chicken broth over the escarole. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Remove the string and slice the escarole open to serve.