Chef Adam Perry Lang's wife, Fleur, serves her tart with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a sprinkle of crumbled shortbread cookies and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 50 mins
- 1 9 inch Pillsbury Just Unroll refrigerated piecrust
- 1 large sweet potato (10 to 12 ounces)peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 ripe banana, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3cup raw sugar, such as Sugar in the Raw (or substitute light brown sugar)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3/4teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Roll out the dough and press into a 4-by-14-inch rectangular or 9-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom; trim the top edge. Set the pan on a baking sheet. Prick the dough several times with a fork and bake until lightly golden, 15 minutes. (Prick the tart shell if the dough puffs up during baking.)
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, cover the sweet potato slices with water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Strain and mash until smooth. Transfer 1 cup to a bowl.
- In a small, nonstick skillet, cook the banana slices with the dark brown sugar over medium heat, turning once, until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Mash the banana into the sweet potato, then stir in the eggs, cream, raw sugar, light brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Pour the mixture into the prebaked tart shell and bake until slightly puffed and set, about 35 minutes. Let cool on a rack at least 3 hours, or refrigerate overnight.