Want a spruced-up version of the old green bean casserole? Try this.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1/4pound bacon (about 5 slices), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2teaspoon sugar
- 1/4teaspoon dry mustard
- Couple dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 1/2pounds green beans, trimmed and rinsed
- 1/3cup jarred roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir the Worcestershire sauce, sugar, mustard and hot sauce into the bacon fat. Return the skillet to high heat, add the green beans and cook, tossing occasionally with tongs, until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the red peppers and half the bacon, tossing until warmed through, about 1 minute. Top with the remaining bacon.
- Trim and rinse the beans a day ahead; refrigerate in a resealable plastic bag.