You can sip (or chug!) this tasty fall soup right out of a mug or glass—no spoon necessary.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 garlic clovesmashed, skins removed and clove halved
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 jarred roasted piquillo peppers or 1 large jarred roasted red pepper, drained and chopped
- 1 shot dry Sherry or Marsala wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 10 ouncebox frozen cooked butternut or winter squash, thawed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- A few dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco, or to taste
- 1/4cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds or chopped slivered almonds, toasted
- Flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (a generous handful)
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat with the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan. Add the garlic and shallot and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the piquillo peppers and heat for 1 minute. Add the Sherry and cook for 30 seconds. Transfer to a food processor with 1/4 cup broth and puree until smooth; return to the pan.
- Add the squash and the remaining 3/4 cup chicken broth to the soup. Whisk to combine. Season to taste with salt, pepper and hot sauce and simmer for a few minutes. Stir in the cream and simmer for 1 minute. Serve the soup in espresso cups topped with the pumpkin seeds and parsley.