Makes: 4 servings
- 2 garlic cloves, 1 cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon zest plus the juice of 1 lemon
- 1 14 ounce can quartered artichoke hearts, drained well and patted dry on paper towels
- 1 12 ounce can water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), eyeball it
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 1-inch-thick slices of crusty bread
- 1 cup chopped arugula
- 1/2 pound Italian Fontina cheese, sliced
- Preheat the broiler. In a large bowl, mash the whole garlic clove with the 1/2 teaspoon of coarse salt until a paste forms. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix until combined. Add the artichoke hearts, tuna, onion, celery, tomatoes and basil to the bowl and dress with 3 tablespoons of the EVOO. Mash the tuna salad with a fork and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the broiler. Place the bread slices on a broiler pan and char on both sides under the broiler. Rub 1 side of each slice with the cut garlic and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of EVOO. divide the arugula and the tuna salad among the bread slices and top with the cheese. Return to the broiler and melt the cheese until bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tip PAIR WITH:
- "Bogle Vineyards Chardonnay 2005 (California)"