Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 1 whole skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds (about 1 ounce)
- 1 28 ounce can peeled whole tomatoes
- 1 Kirby cucumberpeeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Small handful cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a small saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, cover the chicken breast with 2 inches of water. Bring the water to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken breast and let cool.
- Meanwhile, pulse the almonds in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil and the handful of cilantro and pulse until coarsely chopped. Season the gazpacho to taste with salt and pepper and chill in a covered container in the freezer for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Shred the poached chicken. Remove the soup from the freezer and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Divide the gazpacho among 4 bowls, top with the shredded chicken and garnish with cilantro.
- King Estate Signature Pinot Gris 2004 (Oregon)
- Turn this into a vegetarian dinner by replacing the chicken with fresh avocado.