Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 45 mins
- 1/2 cup large tapioca pearls
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 can coconut milk (14 ounces)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/3- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stalk lemongrass (white bulb only), smashed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 slice of ginger, about the size of a quarter
- 1 mango, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 kiwi, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, crushed
- Combine the tapioca and skim milk and refrigerate overnight.
- About 4 hours before serving, in a medium saucepan over low heat, combine the soaked tapioca and its milk with the coconut milk, whole milk, 1/3 cup of sugar, the lemongrass, cinnamon stick, vanilla and ginger. Cook, stirring often, until translucent and soft, about 45 minutes. Add sugar to taste and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Remove the lemongrass, cinnamon and ginger, and serve the pudding on spoons topped with the mango, kiwi and peanuts.
- Stand the mango on the stem end. Cut off the round halves, keeping your knife parallel to the large, oval seed in the center.
- Cut a crosshatch pattern into each half with your knife, being careful not to cut all the way through the skin.
- Press on the skin side of the mango to "pop" out hte mango cubes, using a small knife to help remove them from the skin.