Food writer Charles Pierce recalls Christmas in his hometown of Columbus, Georgia, whenever he eats this morning meat.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- In a large bowl, combine the pork, salt, pepper, sage and marjoram and mix well with a fork. Knead the sausage into a large ball. (Taste for seasoning by pinching off an olive-size piece of sausage and placing it in a small nonstick skillet. Cook the small piece over medium heat, turning often, until its no longer pink in the center, 3 to 5 minutes. Taste, then add additional salt, pepper or herbs to the sausage mixture as desired.)
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the uncooked sausage mixture for 1 hour. Using your hands, form the meat into 24 uniform balls, then flatten each into a patty.
- Place 8 of the patties in a large nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels, repeat with the remaining patties and serve.