Get fancy and add a curly tail of royal icing.
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick (4 ounces) chilled unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 5 - 7 tablespoons cold brewed coffee
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, baking soda and flour. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. (If you prefer, do this in a food processor.)
- In a small bowl, combine the molasses and 5 tablespoons of the coffee and add to the flour mixture; blend to make a smooth but stiff dough. If the dough is too dry, add more coffee, 1 teaspoon at a time. If the dough is too soft, wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On a floured board, roll one-fourth of the dough to a 1/8-inch thickness; refrigerate the remaining dough. Use a pig (or any other shape) cookie cutter to cut out the cookies; space the ginger pigs about 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cookies are firm to the touch. Repeat with the remaining dough.