Dress up baked risotto with fresh asparagus.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot or half of a small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 32 ouncecontainer (4 cups) vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/4cup pine nuts or walnuts
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1 pound thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . In a heavy ovenproof pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until translucent and softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and rice; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the rice is toasted, about 3 minutes. Stir in the broth and 1-1/4 cups water. Transfer immediately to the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a food processor, finely chop the parsley, 1/2 cup Parmesan, the pine nuts and the lemon peel. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and process until blended. Set the pesto aside.
- Remove the risotto from the oven and stir in the asparagus and the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan. Continue to bake until the rice is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the reserved pesto and serve with extra Parmesan.
- Hirsch Veltliner #1 (Austria)