Plenty of healthy foods can taste rich and buttery when made into spreads and dips. But we also played around with sweet potatoes, silken tofu and slow-roasted peppers.
65. Give rich and addictive southern pimiento cheese a makeover: Combine equal parts shredded cheddar and low-fat cottage cheese, then fold in chopped pimientos. Spread on thinly sliced whole wheat bread.
66. Puree cucumber and mint with buttermilk for a tangy herbal shooter.
67. Instant California Roll: Quarter a ripe avocado and remove the pit. Stuff with wasabi-spiked imitation crab and drizzle with soy sauce.
68. Microwave a small sweet potato, split it open and mash a little OJ into it. Eat right out of the jacket.
69. Make strawberries just a bit decadent: Halve them and spread the cut sides with softened goat cheese.
70. Raid the supermarket antipasto bar for some lusciously creamy slow-roasted red peppers. Eat with a bocconcini or two.
71. Butternut Dip: In a food processor, pulse thawed frozen butternut squash, dried apricots and roasted cashews; scoop up with sweet potato chips.
72. Melt a sliver of brie and top with chopped cherries. Eat with a fork.
73. Pumpkin Spread: Stir together tahini, canned pumpkin puree and a little apple juice and cinnamon. Spread on toasted whole grain cornbread.
74. Baby red potatoes become blissfully creamy when you microwave them for 3 to 5 minutes (leave the skin on for nutrients). Sprinkle with pepper and sea salt and pop them in your mouth.
75. Curried Hummus: Combine pureed chickpeas with lemon juice, garlic, curry powder, garam masala and olive oil.
76. Here's a cheesy topping for broccoli that only tastes indulgent: Whisk together equal parts prepared cheddar cheese spread and low-sodium chicken broth and stir in chopped pickled jalapeños.
77. Dress up store-bought baba ghanoush with fresh chopped dill and parsley. Serve with whole wheat pita.
78. Combine low-fat ricotta and plain yogurt. Stir in chopped kirby cucumbers and fresh basil. Eat with a spoon.
79. Banana Soft Serve: Freeze some bananas, then pulse in a food processor with roasted peanuts and a splash of almond milk.
80. Mash canned white beans with olive oil and chopped fresh rosemary. Pile onto radicchio leaves.
81. Mini Polenta Melts: Slice a few thin rounds of store-bought polenta and slather with roasted red pepper spread. Sprinkle with parmesan and warm in the microwave.
82. Float cubes of silken tofu in a warm cup of instant miso soup.
83. Treat yourself to the most sublimely simple protein-packed treat: a soft-scrambled egg.Continued on page 5: