Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 3 slices pumpernickel bread, cut into small cubes
- 4 tablespoons EVOO
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, quartered
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a medium bowl, toss the bread with 1 tbsp. EVOO; season generously with salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and bake until crunchy, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet (preferably cast-iron), cook the bacon over medium until crisp; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain the skillet, reserving 2 tbsp. of the drippings. Let the bacon cool, then chop.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tbsp. EVOO over medium. Add the lettuce wedges, cut side down, and cook until lightly charred, about 45 seconds per side.
- In a small bowl, whisk the reserved bacon drippings with the lemon juice, mustard and the remaining 2 tbsp. EVOO until smooth; season. Divide the wedges among four plates and top with the croutons, bacon, red onion and cheese. Drizzle with the dressing; season.