Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 5 mins
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 6 ouncecan chunk light tuna packed in water, drained
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 small handfuls kettle-style potato chips, plus more for serving
- Pickle spears, for serving
- Shred the cheese using the large holes on a box grater.
- Break up the tuna with a fork in a medium bowl. Mix in the celery and mayonnaise. Season with pepper. (You can make the tuna up to 1 day ahead; just cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat a waffle iron to the medium-dark setting.
- Lay the bread slices out on the counter. Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over half of the bread.
- Divide the tuna among the cheese-topped bread slices; smooth the tuna into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheese on top of the tuna and close the sandwiches.
- Put the sandwiches in the waffle iron. Cook until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Open up the sandwiches and top each with lettuce, tomato and a handful of chips. Close the sandwiches, cut in half and serve with more chips and the pickle spears.