Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2pound white mushrooms, halved and sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 10 ounceboxes thawed frozen peas and carrots
- 2 cups flour
- 1 14 ouncecan low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped just to stiff peaks
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . In a large, ovenproof skillet, heat the butter and oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and 112 tsp. salt and cook, stirring, until almost dry, 5 minutes.
- Add the peas and carrots. Gradually stir in 14 cup flour, then stir in the broth. Simmer, stirring, until smooth and thickened, about 2 minutes. Add the parsley; season with pepper. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the remaining 134 cups flour, the baking powder and 12 tsp. salt. Make a well in the center and stir in the whipped cream to combine. Using lightly floured hands, knead just until a dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat out until about 34 inch thick. With a floured 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out 4 biscuits. Transfer them to a baking sheet and bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Divide the vegetable mixture among 4 deep bowls. Top each with a biscuit; serve immediately