- About 4 tbsp. EVOO
- 12 thin veal scallops (about 24 oz. total)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 2 - 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup marsala
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 slices good-quality whole-wheat bread-toasted, buttered and halved corner to corner
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
Preheat the oven to 175 degrees . In a large skillet, heat 3 tbsp. EVOO, three turns of the pan, over medium-high. Season the veal with salt and pepper and dust with flour. When the oil ripples, add half the veal to the skillet and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven. Repeat with the remaining veal scallops.
Add the butter to the skillet; when it foams, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until browned, 5 minutes. Add the shallots, thyme and garlic; season and cook, stirring, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the marsala and deglaze, swirling the skillet. Add the cream, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
Arrange 2 slightly overlapping toast points on each plate and top with the veal scallops. Spoon the mushroom sauce over the top and garnish with chives.