Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 3 pounds chicken wings, joints separated, tips discarded
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/3cup flour
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1/2cup hot sauce
- Sour cream
- Chopped pickled jalapenos
- Let the chicken wings sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large, deep skillet with a lid, heat the oil until the temperature registers 300 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. Season the wings with the salt, then toss in the flour, ancho chile powder and ground cumin to coat. Add half of the wings to the oil, partially cover the pan and fry, turning occasionally with tongs, until golden-brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet; blot with the paper towels, then discard the towels. Keep the first batch of wings warm in the oven while you repeat the process with the remaining wings.
- In a bowl, combine the butter, chipotle chile and adobo sauce. Add the wings; toss to coat. Serve with sour cream mixed with chopped pickled jalapenos for dipping.