Yield: 1 1/2 dozen
Prep: 10 mins to
Cook: 25 mins to
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 lb) peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- EVOO or peanut oil, for frying
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Using a food processor fitted with a coarse grating disk, grate the potatoes and onion; discard any large pieces. Transfer the mixture to a clean dish towel and squeeze out any excess liquid, then transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the flour, egg, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper and the baking powder.
- Using side of a knife or a mortar and pestle, mash 1 large clove garlic and pinch salt to a paste. In small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 tbsp. EVOO, prepared garlic paste and 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice to make aioli; cover and refrigerate.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1/4 inch oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in 5 to 6 batches, drop 2 tbsp. scoops of batter into the pan about 2 inches apart. Using a spatula, flatten the batter into disks. Cook, turning once, until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes. (Lower the heat if the latkes darken too quickly.) Drain on paper towels. Serve with aioli.