Makes: 10 to 12 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Slow Cook: 6 hrs
- 1 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, with juices
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 15 ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 2 zucchini, cut into small dice (about 3 cups)
- 3 large red, yellow or green bell peppers, cut into small dice
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced (no seeds or membranes)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pound frozen corn, thawed
- 1 pound frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- Sour cream, shredded monterey jack, shredded cheddar, diced avocado, lime wedges and chopped cilantro, for serving
- In a large bowl, mash together the tomatoes with their juices, tomato paste, lime juice, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper and the cumin.
- In a large, lined slow cooker, stir together the beans, zucchini, bell peppers, onion, jalapeno and garlic. Pour the tomato mixture on top. Cover and cook on low heat until the vegetables are tender but still retain their color and shape, 4 to 6 hours (four if you prefer your vegetables more al dente; six if you like them more cooked through).
- Stir the corn and lima beans into the chili and let sit for a couple of minutes to warm them up. Serve the chili with all the toppings.