- 1 1/2 pounds orange squash, such as butternut-peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 5 tablespoons EVOO
- salt and pepper
- a little freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic
- a couple of small pinches saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon each orange and lemon zest
- a handful shelled pistachios, toasted and finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Spread the squash on a baking sheet and dress with 2 tbsp. EVOO, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Roast in the oven until the sugars of the squash start to caramelize, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a soup pot, heat the remaining 3 tbsp. EVOO, 3 turns of the pan. Stir in the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, saffron, orange zest and lemon zest. Add 1 qt. water and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes. Add the squash
Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the soup in shallow bowls and top with the pistachios.