- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 of a large acorn squash--peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the leek and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the leek is softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Stir in the squash and potato; cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the flour, then the chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is thickened, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the cream and horseradish.