Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Slow Cook: 4 hrs 30 mins
- 1 pound dried pinto beans, rinsed and picked over
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14 oz.) fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Transfer the beans to a large bowl. Add cool water to cover the beans by 3 inches. Let stand for at least 10 hours.
- Drain the soaked beans in a colander. Sprinkle the onion and bacon into a large slow cooker. Add the beans, chicken broth and 1 cup cold water. Cover and cook on high until the beans are tender, about 3 hours.
- Pour in the tomatoes. Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 hours. Season with salt and pepper.