- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 slices lean smoky bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 28 ounce can baked beans
- 1 16 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 15 ounces canned or frozen lima beans, rinsed
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
In a small skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings, add the onion to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard and chili powder to combine.
Place all the beans and the chickpeas in the slow cooker and add the onion mixture and bacon; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low heat until thick, 6 hours.