Yield: 6 cups
- 6 cups blackberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon, zested in strips
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cups brandy (optional)
- In large bowl, crush berries and sugar with potato masher. Add to lined slow cooker and stir in 1 qt. water, peppercorns, bay leaves and lemon zest. Cover and cook over low heat for 2 1/2 hours. Stir, increase heat to high and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Strain through fine-mesh sieve without pressing on berries. Stir maple syrup into blackberry juice and let cool. Stir in brandy, if using. Refrigerate up to 1 month. Makes 6 cups.
Tip If it has brandy:
- Enjoy as a cocktail: Serve with seltzer over ice or straight up.
- Use as a pan sauce for pork or chicken.
Tip Without brandy:
- Whisk with mustard, vinegar and EVOO for a fruity vinaigrette.
- Simmer until thick and pour over pancakes, waffles or ice cream.