- Prep Time
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grill seasoning (about a palmful
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 3/4 pounds skirt steak
- 2 red onions, halved crosswise
- Salt and pepper
- 2 jalapeno chiles, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 avocados, halved
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (a generous handful)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
In a large saucepan, bring the chicken broth and 1 tablespoon EVOO to a boil. Stir in the rice and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Stir in the black beans and scallions and cook for 6 minutes more.
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. In a shallow dish, whisk together the remaining 3 tablespoons EVOO , the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, grill seasoning and hot sauce. Coat the steak and marinate for 10 minutes.
Drizzle the red onions with EVOO, season with salt and pepper and grill with the jalapenos, turning, until charred about 10 minutes. Grill the steak, turning once, for 8 minutes for medium-rare. Grill the avocado halves until charred, 3 to 4 minutes; halve lengthwise.
Thinly slice the steak on an angle and divide among 4 plates. Top each with the avocados, jalapenos, tomatoes and cilantro. Serve with the rice, onions and lime wedges.