Yield: 10 cups
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large pot, heat EVOO over medium. Add onion and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add diced tomatoes and their juices, broth and sugar. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the tomatoes break down and the soup thickens slightly, 12 to 15 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Puree soup until smooth. Serve immediately or use as a base for the variations.
Tip SEAFOOD STEW
- Add 1/2 cup white wine, 3/4 lb. flaked white fish fillets (such as cod or halibut), 1/2 lb. thawed frozen shrimp, 1 1/2 tbsp. crushed red pepper and 1 tbsp. each chopped fresh basil and parsley. Simmer until fish and shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Serve with lemon slices and crusty bread.
Tip TOMATO WITH ZUCCHINI, FETA & MINT
- Add 2 cups cooked medium pasta shells and 4 cups cooked cubed zucchini. Top with crumbled feta and thinly sliced fresh mint.
Tip CHICKEN CHILI
- Add one 15-oz. can kidney beans (drained and rinsed), one 4-oz. can diced roasted jalapenos, 2 cups shredded cooked chicken and 1 tbsp. chili powder. Simmer, stirring often, 5 to 10 minutes. Top with nonfat sour cream and grated Monterey jack.
Tip TOMATO BASIL
- Add 3 tbsp. chopped fresh basil and 3/4 cup half-and-half; puree until smooth. Top with grated Parmesan and basil leaves.
Tip CURRIED CHICKPEA
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tbsp. EVOO over medium-high. Add 1 chopped onion, one 15-oz. can chickpeas (drained and rinsed) and 1 tbsp. mild curry powder; cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add to soup. Top with chopped cilantro leaves and toasted fennel seed.