Makes: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage with fennel seed, casings removed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery with leafy top, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 28 ounce can Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- A pinch ground cinnamon
- A pinch ground clove
- A pinch freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- A few leaves fresh basil, torn
- 1 pound pappardelle, such as Delverde, or other wide flat pasta
- Grated Pecorino Romano, for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- In a Dutch oven or medium pot, heat the EVOO over medium to medium-high, two turns of the pan. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until browned. Add the onion, garlic and celery and cook to soften, 10 minutes. Deglaze with the wine, then add the tomatoes, stock, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. Bring the sauce to a simmer, season with salt and stir in the basil. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, salt the boiling water and cook the pasta until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta. Return the pasta to the pot and stir in half the sauce and pasta cooking water as needed; stir to combine. Serve the pasta in shallow bowls topped with extra sauce and cheese.
Recipe by Rachael Ray