Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1 1/2 cups EVOO
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 6 skin-on striped bass fillets (about 2 lbs)
- In a bowl, combine the EVOO, garlic and a pinch each salt and pepper; let steep for 30 minutes. Strain the oil; discard the garlic. in a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of the garlic oil, the lemon juice, parsley and mint; season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place the fish fillets in a shallow dish in a single layer. Sprinkle with 2 tsp. salt and drizzle with the remaining 1/2 cup garlic oil, turning the fillets gently to coat.
- Working in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding, add the fish, flesh side down, to the hot skillet. Cook, turning once, until the fish is just opaque in the center, 6 to 8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. Transfer to a plate.
- Spoon a little of the sauce over each fillet. Set the rest of the sauce on the table for passing.