- Prep Time
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and grated
- 3 - 4 tablespoons snipped or chopped fresh chives
- 12 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 4 3/4- to 1-inch-thick sirloin or shell steaks, patted dry
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces gorgonzola, preferably mountain, or herbed goat cheese, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 5 ounce package about 6 cups) arugula or baby arugula
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Crusty bread, to pass around the table
In a bowl, combine the EVOO, garlic, chives and sage. Season the steaks with salt and pepper, then coat with the oil mixture.
Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 2 steaks and cook for 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare or 8 minutes for medium. Transfer to a plate. Wipe the skillet clean and repeat with the remaining steaks. Top the steaks with the cheese, tent with foil and let stand for 5 minutes.
Toss the arugula and tomatoes with the lemon juice, a drizzle of EVOO, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve alongside the steaks and pass the bread around the table.