Yield: 3 cups
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 12 tomatillos (about 1 1/2 lbs.), husks discarded, rinsed
- 2 fresh anaheim or poblano chiles
- 1 onion, cut into 4 or 5 thick slices
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- EVOO for brushing
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup small sprigs cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- Preheat the broiler and cover a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Arrange the tomatillos, chiles, onion and garlic on the baking sheet. Brush the onion and garlic with EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Broil for 10 to 15 minutes, turning the vegetables occasionally and removing the pieces when charred and tender. Let cool. Peel and seed the chiles.
- Using a food processor, coarsely puree the chiles, tomatillos, onion, garlic and cilantro. Add the lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
- This salsa is a classic enchilada topper, but it's also amazing with eggs (in scrambled, fried or omelet form).