- 1 can (15 to 15.5 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and dried
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (a fat drizzle)
- 1 teaspoon (about 1/3 palmful) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (about 1/3 palmful) ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon (about 1/3 palmful) turmeric
- 1 teaspoon (about 1/3 palmful) paprika or smoked sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 - 4 tablespoons bottled or filtered water
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- A small handful fresh dill, coarsely chopped
- 2 hearts or 1 large head romaine, chopped
- 2 tomatoes on the vine, seeded and diced
- 1 cup drained giardiniera (pickled vegetables), chopped
- 2 fat handfuls pita chips, preferably Stacy's, lightly crushed
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees .
In a medium bowl, toss the chickpeas and olive oil; season with salt, pepper and the spices. On a parchment- or foil-lined baking sheet, spread the chickpeas in a single layer. Roast until crispy, 20 to 25 minutes.
In a food processor, puree the tahini, lemon juice, water, EVOO and garlic. Season the dressing with salt; mix in the dill.
In a large bowl, toss the lettuce, tomatoes, giardiniera, pita chips and the dressing. Spread the salad on a platter or divide among plates or bowls; top with the chickpeas.