- 2 pounds mixed mushrooms (such as wood ear, cremini, portobello and shiitake)--wiped clean, stemmed if necessary and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- A few sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 5 tablespoons EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
- Sea salt and pepper
- 5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- A few dashes hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups extra-sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 pound cavolo nero (also called black, tuscan, dinosaur or lacinato kale), stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees . On a large baking sheet, dress the mushrooms, garlic and thyme with 1/4 cup EVOO and spread out. Roast the mushrooms for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and season with sea salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, in a pot, combine the sweet potatoes and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, season with sea salt and cook until fork-tender, 15 minutes. Drain and return to the pot, then mash with the stock and milk (or half-and-half). Season with sea salt, pepper, the paprika and hot sauce. Stir in the cheddar until melted.
While the potatoes are working, in a bowl, toss the kale with the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO and season with sea salt, pepper and a few grates of fresh nutmeg. Arrange on a rack set over a baking sheet and roast until crisp at the edges, 10 to 12 minutes.
Combine the mushrooms and garlic with the kale and serve on a bed of the sweet potatoes.